This is a "sofa to saddle" cycling programme that caters for all cyclists, from the person who has just rediscovered their bike, to the more accomplished rider who wants to take on greater challenges.
The skills and knowledge gained in this programme will make the world of cycling more accessible to everyone, with the main focus being on learning skills, enjoying the bike and meeting new like-minded people.
Delivered by qualified coaches, the programme brings the cyclist on a journey of learning, where they are educated on the various skills, aspects and components of cycling in a safe, welcoming and social environment.
What will you learn?
- Preparing for a Bike Ride: What to wear, what to bring.
- Riding Safely on the Road: Basic road skills,advanced road skills, riding in the dark.
- Riding as a Group: Riding in pairs, riding as a group, group riding etiquette.
- Using Shared Facilities: Riding in low volume traffic, riding in higher volume traffic.
- Bike Handling Skills
- Nutrition & Hydration: Basic requirements, requirements for a cyclist.
- Bike Repair & Maintenance: Basic bike maintenance
- Training for your Riding Goals: Getting Started, going further and cycling challenges.
Bike for Life participants receive a course logbook, cycling buff or water bottle and insurance for the duration of the programme.
Bike for Life is sponsored by the HSE, under their Get Ireland Active initiative, as well as receiving funding from Women in Sport. One of the aims of Bike for Life is to close the gender gap in cycling through the creation of “Meet and Spin” groups of people of similar speeds and abilities.
See cyclingireland.ie for more information.